Tuesday, March 2, 2010

I'm never gunna wipe my butt. Its a waste of toilet tissue. It's an environmental issue.


Mia here,
I drank coffee at like 11 last night and couldn't fall asleep til three.
then i had a dream that I was a crippled old man and my personal assistant
was Zach Braff. sure learned my lesson.

I'm really going to buckle down on this post.
i have real matters to discuss.

So I've been getting into Big Band/Swing/Jazz
its the first thing thats has shock-en the core of me since i don't know... cheese.
I've been reading this book called " As Serious As Your Life" all about Black jazz musicians
heres a quote from John Coltrane:
"I'm actually painting pictures of Infinity with my music, and that's why a lot of people can't understand it. If they'd listen to this and to other types of music they'll find that this has something else in it, something from another world."

dreamy ain't it.

Like I said in my past post, I'm feeling particularly nostalgic lately.
It's not exactly bad because its directing me back to the things i use to love.

lets go back to memory lane....

PAST OBSESSIONS!:

Say Anything
this is freshman year, man.
So, a many of their songs are kind of power pop rock but Max Bemis is one hell of a writer, and i will stand by that. They're the type of band for me, where I fell in love with their first album and they never made the same amount of magic again.
There is something so punk about them that i can't put my finger on.
Maybe because Max Bemis is a bipolar angsty genius with a heart of gold?
listen to "admit It" Its all about bashing 'posers'.
"Admit it!
Despite your pseudo-bohemian appearance
And vaguely leftist doctrine of beliefs
You know nothing about art or sex
That you couldn’t read in any trendy New York underground fashion magazine
Prototypical non-conformist
You are a vacuous soldier of the thrift store Gestapo
You adhere to a set of standards and tastes
That appear to be determined by an unseen panel of hipster judges (bullshit)
Giving a thumbs up or thumbs down to incoming and outgoing trends and styles of music and art
Go analog baby, you’re so post-modern
You’re diving face forward into a antiquated past
It’s disgusting, it's offensive, don’t stick your nose up at me
When you walk by a group of quote-unquote normal people
You chuckle to yourself patting yourself on the back as you scoff
It's the same superiority complex
Shared by the high school jocks who made your life a living hell
And makes you a slave to the competitive capitalist dogma
You spend every moment of your waking life bitching about"


speaking of bipolar angsty geniuses..

Mewithoutyou
oh my gawdddd. shiver me timbers, i love them so hard.
thick power chords, screaming raw vocals, melodic, life provoking questions!
count me in! this band is not for the timid heart, but will give you much hipster cred i guess.

Mates of States
a married couple from the north west coast. synthy, organs, cute harmonies.
They were the first Matt and Kim, I'm telling you! Their music was also used in a couple of commercials and the theme song for Weeds. They are like an instant jolt
of sunshine in form of sound.

memory lane also pointed out how happy i was when i watched these shows:

ALWAYS SUNNY IN PHILADELPHIA
in a nutshell: three friends and a sister own a bar with Danny Devito as their father.
Being s scumbag as never this funny. the tom foolery they get into!

Stella!
i love you micheal, micheal, and david!

gold. crying and farting?!they are just my cup of tea.


I stumbled upon this video. it collides two things that i love whole heartedly.
tim and eric awesome show great job! & The Shins.
melt my heart and make me laugh?
you got me wrapped around your finger.


thank you for reading and if you haven't why not?
we can be friends

~ mia joy

1 comment:

  1. Mia, mia, mia, ...Is a Real Boy is not Say Anything's first album (but their first album sucked!). And I would say that Is A Real Boy is pretty much equal to In Defense of the Genre unless you include the iarb reissue/bonus disc.


    Anyways, this is quite fantastic and that last video is stellar.

    ReplyDelete